When do I need to do budget transfers?

If a department is going to over expend one of their budget lines by a $2,000 or more, a transfer must be approved by the Commissioners and the Rockingham County Executive Committee before the expenditure can be incurred.  Please see Budget Line Transfers Policy for additional information, and the current Line Item Transfer Form.  Please note, the Executive Committee requires all submissions to be sent a minimum of 5 days before their quarterly reviews.  Please ensure your line item transfer requests are submitted for approval at a Board of Commissioners meeting that is early enough to meet the Executive Committee submission deadline.

What exactly is a fixed/capital asset?

A fixed/capital asset is an item that has a useful life of several years that is owned by an organization and used, in context of the County, in providing/delivering County services.  Tangible fixed assets include land, equipment, vehicles, furnishings and fixtures.  The County’s dollar threshold for such items to be considered fixed assets is $5,000, though the Nursing Home threshold is $500 (for Medicaid Cost Report purposes).  Throughout the year, departments should submit required paperwork and support to the Finance Office for fixed asset additions  Please refer to the County’s Fixed Asset Policy for further details and the Fixed Asset Add – Change Form.

Do I have to submit a department revenue warrant if the cash was directly received into the County’s general fund bank account via ACH or EFT?

Yes, any cash received and deposited (by any method) requires a corresponding revenue warrant (with support) to be completed, signed by an authorized individual, and placed into the Finance Office revenue warrant box on Mitchell II.  Every Monday, the Associate Accounting Analyst in the Finance Office sends out bank reports to applicable departments that detail all electronic deposits processed in the prior week.  These bank reports are to be used as support for the department revenue warrants. See Department Revenue Warrant Policy.

What is the County’s policy with respect to depositing cash and checks?

Cash and checks totaling $10,000 or more are to be deposited within 24 hours, preferably on the same business day as received.  Smaller receipts are not to be held longer than three business days before being deposited.  All departmental deposits (whether in a locked bag or in an interoffice envelope) should be placed in the Finance Office revenue warrant box by 3:30pm.  Locked bags, regardless of the deposit total, are deposited on the same business day as submitted (if placed in the revenue warrant box by the 3:30pm deadline).  See Cash on Hand Policy.  Note: A completed, signed Revenue Warrant Form (with support) should accompany departmental deposits.

What is the deadline for submitting accounts payable warrants in order for them to be included in the bi-weekly accounts payable run?

The deadline for submitting accounts payable warrants for inclusion in the next accounts payable run is 12:00pm on the Wednesday prior to a regular accounts payable run.  For example, November 5, 2014 was the submission deadline for accounts payable warrants approved by the Commissioners at their November 12, 2014 meeting.  Warrants are to be inserted into an interoffice envelope and placed in the Accounts Payable Warrants mail slot on Mitchell II.  For more information, see Departmental AP Warrant Policy.

Do individual departments prepare accounts payable warrants for contingent grant expenditures?

No, the Finance department will prepare accounts payable warrants (and the corresponding revenue accrual/revenue warrants) for contingent grant expenditures.  It is the individual department’s responsibility to forward all supporting documentation to the Finance Office to ensure proper and timely payment of grant payables and recording of the corresponding revenues.   For additional information on financial procedures and policies regarding grants, please refer to the Grant Policies and Procedures.

What are the County’s policies and procedures with respect to obtaining grants?

Grants must go through a series of approvals from the Rockingham County Commissioners.  First, the department that is considering applying for a grant should present their proposal to the Commissioners at a regularly scheduled Commissioners’ meeting.  If the Commissioners approve of the grant application, it can be signed by the Chair and the department can move forward with the application process.  Any subsequent/resulting award documents (including grant agreements) need to be approved by the Board and signed, if applicable, by the Chair.  A complete set of all grant documents should be forwarded to the Finance Office.